Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Caudled Milk

I am a collage artist and painter living in Seattle, WA. My mixed media collages combine historic and graphic images in textured color field environments. Removing figures from their cast off status in thrift store books and garage sale finds and adding them to my own worlds gives them new life as the classic characters of the literary works I surround myself with. The figures become heroic again when they begin to interact with each other on the canvas. One of my favorite quotes is by the Surrealist Max Ernst: “collage is two unknown elements meeting on a third unknown plane”. The question I have to ask myself is: “why did I put them there?” And so I begin to build, to seek out, with glue and paint, the my reasons for the interaction I am seeing.
 "A Hard Reign"
Acrylic, papercollage on canvas
12" x 12"
2009

No comments:

Post a Comment